January 17, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

Hey! 

As I was saying, I finally read The Hunger Games trilogy (Suzanne Collins). I have to agree with everyone on this one - it is a fantastic series! I loved everything about it and as I was trying yo write a review, I just couldn't keep it short and simple - it was too much too say! :)

 Goodreads:
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My thoughts about the book:
*contains spoilers

I read the synopsis and many reviews and I still didn't know too much about this series. I didn't know what to expect, so I was a little skeptical. But I did notice, from the beginning, that Suzanne Collins is an amazing storyteller. Her writing is very realistic, passionate, thrilling, yet edgy and different. She kept me reading until 5 in the morning, when I realized I had to get out of bed in 3 hours to start my day. She built likable, complex characters and a dark but entertaining world. The action was scary and complicated, but flowing smoothly. I was biting my nails all the time and I think my jaw literally dropped open a few times. Thumbs up for Suzanne Collins and her writing style, for the way she blends in totally unpredictable situations! I was surprised that, even though this moment she was writing about fancy dresses and polishing nails and the next about poisonous plans and killing traps, I still could keep up and impatiently read more.

I liked Katniss' voice and the way she developed as a character. Her world was tragic and she wasn't ready for most of it, but she kept going, always trying to make the right decision and stick to it. She is a smart, tenacious, brave, yet vulnerable teenage girl. Although she is a fighter and has to do terrible things to move forward, she cares about people and tries to follow her heart. She loved her family so much that she could easily volunteer to play the horrible Games instead of her little sister.  And even in the Arena, she cared and tried to take care of Rue and make her her ally, despite the fact that she knew the little girl was going to die, probably by her own hand. Not to mention the way she took care of Peeta when he was hurt. She knew that he kept her behind and could be an easy target, which could get both of them killed, but but stood there with him. 

They have a sweet, special, growing relationship. I was a little disappointed at her lack of response at Peeta's obvious love, but I think she loved him in her own way and considering all the bad things that happened to her since she entered the Game, it was kind of normal to be confused and distracted. Peeta is not a fighter, but he is very smart and brave too and tries to adapt to the situations in his own way. Anyways, I really liked him. :)

Katniss had her moments of insecurity and instability, but then again, how could she not have them with everything that happened and the burden on her shoulders? Winning the Hunger Games didn't make it easier for her, on the contrary. And maybe starting a rebellion wasn't her point, but she did have different, rebellious thoughts and feelings. She'll probably pay for them in the next book of the series. ;)

All in all, it was a great read that kept my imagination wide awake and my heart racing all along. Yup, definitely a must read!!!
5 stars

Romanian Cover

xoxo
 

6 comments:

  1. Uh oh. This spoiled the book a little too much for me. haha. Its kei! Thanks for the Review. Now, I really do want to read it more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Selfcentered I know, I'm sorry about that - I just couldn't restrain myself LOL. Read it ASAP!;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I didn't read the review. There were spoilers in it.
    BUUUT
    Ai timp sa citesti? Like all the YA you want?
    I envy you for that.
    I hear there are hot guys in The Hunger Games as well.
    Sper sa am timp curand sa ma apuc si de seria asta, fara sa risc sa pic vreun examen...
    In ce clasa esti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Roxo Nu prea am timp, dar citesc foarte mult noaptea si in weekend-uri, mai ales iarna cand e frig si stau mai mult in casa. Sunt la facultate, in ultimul an.:P Tu?
    Si da, sunt hot guys in The Hunger Games, dar actiunea si restul sunt prea captivante sa le dai atentie.:)) Ia-ti cateva zile pt seria asta, creeaza depedenta!:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! This is such an incredible series! cant wait to see what you think of the rest of it =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. noaptea? oi.. si cand dormi? :P
    eu sunt anul 1, la litere, tre sa citesc si asa mult la scoala, si cu greu mai fur cateva momente de citit pentru mine.
    Vacanta asta am citit Nevermore de Kelly Creagh, si Anna and the French Kiss, pe care n-am putut sa o las din mana toata noaptea..

    hmm.. cred ca o sa ma apuc de Hunger Games in vacanta.. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...