November 27, 2012

Review: Just for Now (Sea Breeze #4) by Abbi Glines

Hi!

Just for Now (Sea Breeze #4) 
by Abbi Glines

Published: October 30th 2012
by Simon & Schuster
Format: Kindle Edition, 304 pages

Goodreads

The day Preston Drake figured out that wealthy women paid well for a set of tight abs and a pretty face his life turned around.

The run down rat-infested trailer he had shared with his alcoholic mother and three younger siblings was now only a place he visited to pay the bills and stock the pantry with food.

He no longer worried about his family starving or living without electricity. The money he made entertaining rich older women more than covered his family’s needs and his own. He had it all figured out. Except…

There was this girl.

She was as innocent as he was tainted.

Amanda Hardy wished her knees didn’t get weak when Preston walked into a room. She hated the fact her heart raced when he flashed his smile in her direction. He had a different girl in his bed every night. He was the kind of boy a smart girl ran from. So, why was she coming up with ways to get close to him? Even when it was obvious he wanted to keep her at a distance.

Maybe her heart knew something the world didn’t. Maybe Preston Drake was more than just a pretty face.

My thoughts on Breathe (Sea Breeze #1)

My thoughts:

I'm keeping these reviews short and sweet, because that's what these books are for me: short and sweet one-sit-reads that always put me in a good mood. I love Abbi Glines' writing and her books always melt my heart and put a smile on my face. It's kind of amazing the amount of emotions her characters and their stories make me feel in such a short time!

Just for Now was one of my most anticipated releases of the season. I love this series and this group we've been following since book #1 and I've been dying to get Preston's entire story since book #2 (or was it book #1? Hmm, I don't know, but I've always been intrigued by him and believed there was a good story right there. And I was right.) He was funny, charming and a real player - but somehow different than Cage. And I was happy when I realized that Amanda was going to be the girl to get under his skin and show us what was behind those walls of his, but, considering what we knew of Amanda and his history, my first thought was 'Uh-oh. This one is going to be tricky'.

Amanda is Marcus' (Preston's best friend we met in book #2) sweet and innocent little sister, which means she's totally off limits for him. Besides, considering his life style, she's way out of his league. But the attraction between them is undeniable so maybe, just maybe, it could work between them? But at what cost?

The guys were my family, but Marcus was my brother. Blood didn’t matter. He’d cared when no one else had known there was something to care about. I had to let this fascination I had with his sister go. 

It's been a while since I read the previous books, but I think I was more emotionally connected with this one and these characters. My heart broke for them even from the beginning, when something meant to happen for a long time didn't go as it was supposed to. I really felt for Amanda, and even though sometimes I just wanted to reach into the book and shake her, to scream at her to be stronger, most of the time I just wanted to hug her, to support her and cheer her on, because if anyone could work things out and be happy with Preston, it was her. Especially when everyone on Earth and their sister kept warning her away from him and trying to get in their way or to control her life. Grrr! But she was stronger than everyone else thought. She was sweet, selfless and caring and warmed up to Preston and his family's life easily.

For the first time in my life, I didn’t feel alone. (Preston)

Willow sighed. “She’ll need room to breathe soon enough, Marcus. You can love her and care about her while you stand back and let her make her own decisions. She isn’t the little girl you took care of all your life. She’s a big girl now. Don’t forget that.” (Did I ever mention that Willow is my favorite heroine in this series? Yup, she still is. )

Amanda always had feelings for Preston and his behavior hurt her many times. Not to mention that she had to keep everything to herself, because she never wanted to ruin Preston's relationship with her brother and she thought Preston would never notice her. Not the way she craved for, anyway. But even when she started acting on those feeling and fighting for the man she loved, things didn't get easier. There were lots of complications, insecurities and hurt feelings on both sides.

Manda was different. She made me feel things. Things I’d prayed I’d never experience, because acting on them would be impossible.

Preston stared at me a moment, and then a small smile touched his lips for the first time today. I was so happy to see that smile. “You’re amazing, and you don’t even know it.”

There was passion, but there was also pain. There was hope, but there was also hopelessness. There was love, but there was also betrayal. There were tears, but there were also smiles and moments of joy. Such a beautiful, emotional story!

Anyway, I love Preston! He's sweet, charming, protective, incredibly hot and has a wicked sense of humor. What else could a girl ask for?:D Yes, he has his secrets and all, but he's a survivor and a fighter and will stop at nothing when it comes to the people he loves and their well being. Opening up to Amanda and believing in their relationship was probably one of the hardest things for him to do. His story was heartbreaking, but I loved the way he and Amanda clicked by the end. And OMG! That chemistry, that passion! Phew, despite their issues and bumps in the road, their relationship was hot and intense! Really, this book was a major swoon-fest! (not suited for a YA audience, btw).

I loved that all the previous couples made an appearance as well, I missed them. :) I just love this group and how close they all are! And I know we're getting back to Cage and Eva for the next book (eep!), but I wouldn't mind it if Jason and Dewayne got their own stories after that either. ;)

I have yet to read a book by Abbi Glines and be disappointed. Every time I finish one of her books, I think the next one can't get any better than that. And then she writes a story like this one and I'm blown away all over again! I'm looking forward to the next one!


Other favorite quotes:

I didn’t want to keep my distance. I might not get to have her again, but I liked being near her. She made me happy. She made the darkness not seem too smothering. “I want to be friends,” I explained, watching her chew her bottom lip nervously.  
“I’ll be good. I promise. I’ll be the best damn friend you’ve ever had.” His voice had lowered into a husky whisper. I shivered from the sexy sound. (...)
“Friends don’t get this close, Preston,” I said, and I started to take a step back when he pulled me tightly against him. “No, Manda, they don’t. But I can’t stop wanting you close. Can we be close friends?” He asked, lowering his head until his warm breath tickled my ear. Closing my eyes tightly, I grabbed his arms to keep myself steady. What was he doing? “I like you close. Real close.” 

“Nothing about this thing we have is a bad thing. I’m not gonna lie about it: I don’t deserve you. I’m sure as hell not good enough for you, but as long as you want me, I’m all yours.” 

He smiled and lowered his head until his lips hovered over mine. “I love you with a scary, insane, wild, amazing love. I always will. No one else could ever make me feel this way.”

*sigh* ♥ ♥ ♥

Get the book: Amazon / B & N

Stalk Abbi: Website / Twitter / Facebook


6 comments:

  1. Really? This is your opinion about mini? The review is very nice and your pleasure reading is easy to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CCAM LOL Ok, maybe it's not that mini, but it is shorter than other of my reviews. Thanks, I'm glad my enthusiasm was easy to feel!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah!!!!!!!! I am sooo excited for this one!! I have it on my iPad just waiting for me to be read!!!! LOVE this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think maybe you should remove MINI from the title :)) But it's a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Danny Yay! I'm so glad you love this series as well now! Preston's story is one of the best. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Christyna_BM Ok, ok, I'll delete that. You're the third person who says this review is not mini. :)) But in my book, considering how long it usually takes me to write reviews and how lengthy they are, this one is short. :)) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...